The F. S. Lincoln Collection consists of black and white negatives and prints taken by Mr. Lincoln in preparation for the publication of The Restoration of Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia, a series of articles appearing in the December 1935 and November 1936 issues of The Architectural Record. Both issues featured a portfolio of buildings and gardens in the newly restored historic area of Williamsburg.
In order to produce a large pool of photos for use in these portfolios, Mr. Lincoln created comprehensive visual documentation of the work completed during the initial phases of the restoration (1927-1935). He photographed the exteriors and interiors of thirty restored buildings, including the Bruton Parish Church, the Wren Building and the Powder Magazine. In addition, he captured exterior views of some of the shops open on Merchants Square and restored buildings adapted for public use, such as the Public Library. He also photographed many of the gardens and garden ornaments throughout the historic area.